5.12.2014

More Big Family News...

Oh boy!  Our family sure has had a lot of changes lately, and we are about to have another one!

We are moving!

And not just around the corner this time, but rather a few hours and a completely different lifestyle away...

We will be moving to a rural little unincorporated community of southeastern Arizona, called Bowie (pronounced Boo-ee).  The population is less than 450 people...that tiny!  It is about 20 minutes away from Willcox, Arizona, which is Brett's hometown.

Brett has a great job opportunity down there.  He will be working with his brother, Jared, managing the business side of a big pecan farm.  He will be dealing with things like inventory, quality control, and marketing.

There are no stoplights and no stores (aside from a tiny little drive-thru market.  Which I am kinda excited for, because as a mom, I have a new-found appreciation for drive-thrus).  Pretty much there is a post office, a small library, and a gas station.  And lots of space!

A lot of Brett's family is involved in agriculture there, so we are lucky that we will be living close to family.  Even though this is a big change, we will still have our built-in-support-system really nearby.

Landon at Grandma and Grandpa's house in Willcox, with his cousin

This will be a huge change for me, as I have been a "city dweller" my entire life.  Brett grew up in a rural area, although not nearly as rustic as this little town.  We will have to travel to his hometown to go to the grocery store (Safeway is about our only option there), for church, and for any eating out (which has very limited options as well).

I am excited and nervous!  However, with the internet so widely used, I feel like I will still be very connected to people, despite distance, and I can order almost anything I really need online (you can bet I will be getting an Amazon Prime membership!).

This will be an adventure, for sure.  I will have to become very organized and good at planning (especially for shopping), due to the fact that so many resources will be far away from me and less accessible.  I am sure I will make a big trip to Costco every 6 weeks or so (a trek that is an hour and a half to Tucson) so that I can stock up on some things.  I also anticipate trying every "knock off" recipe I can find on the internet, to replicate my favorite restaurant dishes in hopes of suppressing my cravings.

But I am so excited for my kids to get to grow up and have the freedom to roam around, dig in the dirt, and be surrounded by dozens of cousins.  Doesn't it just seem like the epitome of what childhood experiences should be?

I know some people think we are crazy, leaving a city life and Brett leaving a corporate job, to go plop ourselves in the middle-of-nowhere and live on a farm.  But honestly, this is really close to the kind of dream job Brett has hoped to have.  And this whole marriage and family thing isn't just about me.  It's about what is best for our family.  Brett spends so much of his time providing for our family, that if moving a few hours away will give him the chance to enjoy that more, I am more than willing to support him and be excited about what lies ahead.  Besides the fact that he is super excited about his job, we will actually get to see him so much more, too.  He won't have to factor in a commute, he will come home for lunch, and he will be working a stone's throw away from our house (for the occasional visit or treat delivery from me and the kids!).

So I hope you follow along with us, as we transition into this new phase of life.

P.S.
Bowie is the hometown of Rambo!  No joke!  It will be our little "claim to fame".

P.P.S
If this sounds familiar, it might be because this situation will remind you of The Pioneer Woman.  If you haven't read her book, it is a hilarious and entertaining fast read!  I definitely recommend it.

4 comments:

  1. I wish you all the best in your new adventure, Tia. You will make an amazing farm wife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you, and so sad for me! We'll miss you guys lots! But really, I have always known you were a farm girl at heart and would rock city or country life. And congrats to Brett- I think he'll love every minute of this!
    Let me know what we can do to help- more than happy to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That will be a fun adventure! I know many people from tiny towns like that and they loved it. I live in Rexburg ID so we have a handful of grocery stores, restaurants, and things to do. But Sam's Club, any clothing shopping outside of our small Walmart, and good food is 30min away. We make the commute all the time and it is fun to make a day trip out of it. I feel more connected with the community here and LOVE it! People can complain in large or small cities that there is "nothing to do" and that is all in the eye of the beholder. Good luck, have fun, and love every minute of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for you!! And actually a bit jealous at the same time. haha. I was reading this post and actually felt a little emotional! (crazy hormones..and not even pregnant!). That will definitely be a huge change for you! I will tell you..if you are not a big reader right now..the library will become your best friend soon and you will be doing lots of reading or fun projects/crafts around the house! Lots of nature walks. :) (At least those are the types of things we would do up in Snowflake when we'd go up to our property for a couple weeks at a time during summer or other times!)
    Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete