12.05.2013

JOY to the World: Holiday Letters for $5

I always find such inspiring (often intimidating and/or expensive) projects all over Pinterest.  This is definitely not one of them!  This project comes together in a matter of minutes, and adds a lot of pizzazz to your holiday decor.

I was inspired to do this project by this pin, but sadly it did not have a tutorial linked to it.  But I knew I could probably replicate it fairly easily, and I was very pleased with the results.



My supplies cost me right around $5 (assuming you already have mod podge and basic supplies).  I bought 3 paper mache letters and some gold glitter paper from Hobby Lobby (don't forget to use a coupon on one of the items you purchase, if they aren't already on sale!).

I did have my husband spray paint the back and sides with gold paint we already had, but I don't think it is necessary.  Especially if you choose to do a gold glitter paper.  If you opt for a silver glitter paper, you might want to paint the back and sides a silver or gray for a more cohesive look.
Trace the letter backwards onto the back of the glitter paper.  Cut out the letter.  Apply a thin layer of mod podge onto the front of the letter and lay down the cut out paper that matches the letter.  Firmly press down on the paper (rest a heavy book on top of it for a few minutes, if desired), let set and dry.  Then use as decor wherever your heart desires!  Obviously, the possibilities are endless.  Any word can be used!  NOEL would also be one I would love!   (Keep in mind the cost will go up some if you use a lot of letters, but it is still very affordable decor!).  And any color of glitter paper would also be very beautiful.  Silver or red would be very festive.  I have it set on top of my piano.  It would look gorgeous on a mantel, bookshelf, end table, etc.  
I hope you give this project a try.  It really comes together quickly and inexpensively (my favorite kind of projects), and really adds to the existing decor in my house.  Happy Holiday Crafting!

1 comment:

  1. So cute! I may have to do this - my decor is seriously lacking! Thanks for sharing your creativity!!

    ReplyDelete