11.14.2013

The Best "Fakeout Takeout" Orange Chicken

I have tried several orange chicken recipes, and been quite disappointed.  The sauce is too tart and tangy, or it's gritty and runny.  It just never compared to what I was used to when I ordered takeout.

I decided to give this recipe a try.  It didn't have any hard-to-find ingredients, and it seemed like it might be simple enough to taste good.  I was right!  We will definitely be making this again!  I even had leftover sauce, that I think would be yummy with sauteed chicken in some carrots, bell peppers, pineapple chunks, and water chestnuts--like an orange chicken stir fry!  Maybe some night for a date night-in, I'll serve it up in some take-out boxes.  Easy clean up and fun to eat on the floor watching a movie :)



Orange Chicken

Chicken:
3-4 boneless chicken breasts, cut into chicken tender size
3 1/2 cups cornflakes, gently crushed
1 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 egg whites
2 tsp. water
2 tsp. soy sauce

Sauce:
2 cups orange juice
2 T. cornstarch
2/3 cup white sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
6 Tb. butter

Line a cookie sheet with foil.  Place in oven.  Heat oven to 450 degrees.

In pie pan, combine cornflakes, ginger, and pepper.  Mix well.

In small bowl, beat egg whites, soy sauce and water until frothy.

Dip chicken in egg white mixture and roll in cornflakes.  Place on hot cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 min.

To make sauce, combine ingredients in small sauce pan.  Bring to a boil.  Stir until sauce clears up (about 10 minutes or so).

Serve chicken on rice topped with orange sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment