10.16.2013

Spooky Banner and Wreath Tutorials

Remember my post on simple ways to decorate your mantle for the spooky holiday?

Well here are two simple tutorials to help you.  Both of these cost $10 or less.  You might even be able to make both of them for $10 total, depending on what you have on hand!

First tutorial, for the simple feather wreath.  You'll die at how easy it will be to make this.  It will take you less than 5 minutes!


All you need is a feather boa, a wire wreath form, a dollar store skeleton, and a few scraps of ribbon or lace.  Simply wrap the feather boa around the wire.  Use hot glue if you need it, but I found that I could secure it by putting a section through the wire pieces that stick out along the circumference.  Simply attach the dollar store skeleton using some yarn or ribbon, and then run a wide piece of ribbon around the wreath to hang it wherever you need to add some festivity!  

The second tutorial is for the simple burlap banner.  

If you carefully cut out the triangles and maximize your fabric, you really don't need much. 

I used my silhouette machine to cut out the shapes, but don't worry if you don't have that!  You can go to your local scrapbook store and use their die-cut machine, if they have one (they do here, if you are a local AZ resident).  Or, print off your desired shapes and use scissors or an x-acto knife to cut out the shape leaving a stencil to use.  I think this method would also work super well (it's also really inexpensive) and be fun for kids to help!  Maybe next year I can do this method with Landon.  

I didn't have a foam brush, so I just used a wadded up paper towel to dab on the paint, and it worked just splendidly!

After they thoroughly dry, secure them to yarn, ribbon, or twine and drape around wherever you please!

I hope these simple tutorials inspire you to add a little "umph" to your decorations without breaking the bank.  Our homes, however big or small, decked out or minimal, they are ours!  And I love that having a few decorations out can lift our spirits and keep us excited about things, even if it is just the small things!

1 comment: